At Spectrum Family Dentistry, we proudly offer dental crowns for patients in Raleigh, NC. A crown restores the look and function of natural teeth if you’re experiencing a dental problem, like a tooth fracture or decay. As a family and cosmetic dentistry practice, we specialize in creating customized treatment plans for many dental issues, which may include crowns.
Why Get Dental Crowns
Dental crowns are caps that cover an entire tooth. These tooth-shaped caps restore a damaged tooth’s shape, size, and strength and will improve your smile. Dental crowns are an ideal replacement tooth solution if you have any of these dental problems:
- Missing tooth: Dental implants act as artificial tooth roots with crowns on their tips to replace missing teeth.
- Tooth decay: Extensive tooth decay may require a cap instead of a typical filling to prevent further damage and exposure to oral bacteria.
- Root canal: A dental crown will cover and protect a vulnerable tooth from additional infections after a root canal.
- Damaged tooth: A chipped or fractured tooth is vulnerable to further damage. A crown protects it by covering the damage and reinforcing the tooth’s strength.
- Unbalanced teeth: Sometimes, natural teeth aren’t the same size and shape, creating an undesirable smile. Custom dental caps can balance out your teeth and give them a uniform look.
Types of Crown Materials to Consider
The type of crown you get as dental protection affects many things, like the look of your teeth and how long the crown will last. For example, metal crowns consisting of gold or silver alloys offer superior long-term protection, especially for biting and chewing. Unfortunately, they are significantly more visible among natural teeth.
Our dentistry team uses porcelain. Porcelain dental crowns are excellent for front teeth that are visible when you smile, talk, or bite because they can closely mimic the look, shape, and color of your natural teeth. The material is also easy to clean, cost-effective, and non-toxic.
What to Expect During the Procedure
Most people with healthy gums and teeth are candidates for dental crowns. Usually, a patient would have at least two appointments, with the first including a consultation, a dental examination, and a dental mold to get an impression of your teeth. The dentist would shave down the affected tooth to fit a dental cap comfortably.
After the first appointment, you’ll wear a temporary crown while a lab makes your permanent crown using your dental mold. The second appointment is to place your permanent crown in your mouth.
It’s possible to get same-day crowns in some cases using intraoral cameras to take pictures of the affected tooth instead of dental molds. CEREC technology creates the crown on-site, eliminating the need for a second appointment.
Trust Spectrum Family Dentistry for Your Smile Transformation
If you want comprehensive dental care in an inviting, relaxed environment from a skilled dentist, you can count on Spectrum Family Dentistry in Raleigh, NC. Dr. Shi takes a gentle, patient-first approach to dental care.
Our practice uses various techniques with modern technology to provide excellent dental care to every patient. Call (919) 278-7576 to schedule an appointment for dental crowns with Spectrum Family Dentistry today.